Minutes of the Pastoral Council Meeting

St. Andrew/St. Ann Parish

August 16, 2018

 

Present: Cindy Canning, Jennifer Craig, Theresa Madel, Linda Kranawetter, Bill Schwartz, Mark Williams, Garrett Cook, Rebecca Korando, Jennifer Craig, Linda Porter-Smith, Deacon Don and Fr. Gary

Absent: Theresa Bastien, Ryan Povolish, Jenny Martin, Audrey Arnold, Angelo Fiorino, Jessica Fritsche and Linda Bunselmeyer.


Meeting opened at 6:03pm with Opening prayer by Cindy Canning.


Minutes from the July 19, 2018 meeting were approved.


Committee Reports


Spiritual Evolvement:

VBS: Linda Porter-Smith stated that she took her grandkids and stayed to help on some of the nights. Attendance was recorded at about 40-45, the program seemed very organized and the kids had a really great time.


CYFF for St. Ann�s: Fr. Gary received information from Jessica Fritsche that Marietta Korando had been appointed to take over as youth leader for St. Ann�s. They will begin the first Sunday after Labor Day. They could use some extra teachers and helpers.


RCIA: St. Ann�s has five adults between the ages of 30-45 years old. Crissy Kraus is leading the group, which is meeting 3-4 hours monthly. They are using the Bishop Barron series. St. Andrew RCIA will begin September 23, 2018. An announcement will be in the bulletin for the next couple of weeks to see if there is interest. Please help spread the word.


St. Andrew/St. Ann 413 Youth Group Program: The program is being led by Crissy Kraus. They will be delving into community activities, social activities, fundraising and prayer time.


Bible Study: There is one more session for the first half of the program, Fulfilled: The Scriptural Foundations of Catholicism which has been attended by approximately 11 people. The second half of the program will begin October 4, 2018 with focus on the New Testament. There is no need to purchase a book for this study. Just come and learn. Please help spread the word.


Small Groups:

Teresa Madel stated that the sub-committee met and is considering launching some small groups for Advent, but the groups may start, continue for a while, end or just break during certain points. Please see the attached document for more details. The committee will meet again on September 10, 2018 and report at the next Pastoral Council meeting. The committee consists of Teresa Madel, Jessica Fritsche, Rob Kippenbrock, Rebecca Korando, Bill Schwartz, Kevin Junk and Deacon Don.


Hospitality:

On behalf of Angela Fiorino, Deacon Don suggested starting a coffee and donut type of gathering after the Masses on occasion. Perhaps once a month? Ministry groups could rotate who would provide the snacks and drinks. To test this idea, Garrett Cook will provide something in the Annex after the 5:30pm Mass on Saturday, August 25, 2018 and Bill Schwartz will provide something after the 11am Mass on Sunday, August 26, 2018. The purpose of this gathering to meet your parish members and try to get to know people better.


Community Life:

Bill Schwartz reports that the Welcome Committee needs a re-boot. Hopefully a report at the next meeting.


We will be selling the new yard signs after the Masses this weekend, August 18th and 19th, 2018. They are $15 each.


Rebecca Korando suggested that in order to help familiarize our different ministries groups to the parish, we could have the groups participate in Masses occasionally as servers, lectors, musicians, Eucharistic Ministers, etc�  perhaps once a month, like the KC�s do the 5th Sundays of the month. For example, Pastoral Council one month, Finance Council, Altar Society, School Board, etc�  Pastoral Council members seemed open to this idea. More discussion on this at the next meeting to decide who will reach out to other committees, handle the scheduling, etc�


Communication:

Bill Schwartz reported that there were 175 hits on the web site in the past month. He is considering adding a daily reflection section, perhaps content from Word On Fire.


Physical Facilities:

Still considering power washing the white stone on the south/west wall of the school. More discussion is needed (refer to minutes of July 19, 2018 meeting)


Old Business


Mission Speaker:

We still need a speaker for the Oct. 27th retreat. Suggestions were Sister Barbara Jean or Godfrey Mullen. Deacon Don will contact others he may know of. Report at next meeting. Need to solidify plans for this event.


Parish Picnic:

Table this topic until spring.

 

New Business


A banner for St. Ann�s Duck Booya will be placed in St. Andrew church yard during the month of September.


Letter to Bishop � In response to the �Wear Gray� movement, Patty Williams and Teresa Madel are drafting a letter to Bishop Braxton regarding the sexual abuse issue in the Catholic Church. They will bring a draft the to next Pastoral Council meeting. The idea is to have as many parishioners as possible sign their name on it and send it to the Bishop.


Fr. Gary is asking for ideas on how to celebrate Advent. Please ask around and share ideas for themes, activities, etc�  On this note, Rebecca Korando is asking for new, fresh ideas regarding decorations for the church during all seasons, especially upcoming Advent. Many big thanks to Rebecca and Di Riley for their hard work in always making sure St. Andrew church looks amazing.


A question was asked about Pastoral Council members who do not attend meetings regularly. Bill Schwartz will draft a letter regarding missed meetings and present at the next meeting.


Closing


The next meeting will be held September 20, 2018 at 6:00pm in the Parish House Meeting Room.


Bill Schwartz moved to adjourn the meeting. Teresa Madel seconded.


The meeting was adjourned at 7:15pm.


Fr. Gary closed with prayer.